Extending northwards from the top of Wheelgate, Newbiggin reached the outskirts of the town and eventually led to Broughton and 'the street villages'.
Memories of Newbiggin
What follows has been taken from Thomas Baker's 'Memories of Malton and Some of its Inhabitants in the 'Sixties and Onwards'. The date of writing is assumed to be the 1920s - 'sixties' refers to the 1860s!
There were more thatched houses in Newbiggin than any other part of the town, and most of these had been swept away and modern ones erected in their place. It has also been greatly extended at the top end of the street, and the approach to Malton has thus been improved in appearance. There were no houses on either Broughton Road or Mount Crescent, or the bottom of Middlecave at the end of the Mount. This site was an open field occupied by Mr. John Snarry, the veterinary. The only house up Middlecave was one occupied by Mr. Jump, where Mrs. Morgan now resides, but of course the house has been rebuilt. I think Mr. Edstone followed Mrs. Jump, and he was succeeded by Mr. Harold Wrangham. The house where Miss Constable lived was built by Captain Copperthwaite. Then there were three white-washed houses farher up, and a windmill occupied by the late Mr. David Blair's father. Beyond was a house where Captain Cumberland lived. It will therefore be seen Malton has greatly improved in a residential manner in this part of Malton - undoubtedly the best part of the town for a quiet, healthy, and retired life.
The house so long occupied by Mr. George Slater, and later by Mr. Beswick, opposite Mount Crescent, was a ladies' school conducted by Miss Masterman; and at the end of the Mount, where Miss Metcalfe lives there was a pinfold, where stray cattle was impounded until their owners paid for their release.
This was offered for sale on 5th December 1843. LOT 1. A CAPITAL MESSUAGE, situate in a STREET, in NEW MALTON, called The Toll BOOTH, otherwise Newbiggin, and known by the name of 'Newbiggin House' consisting of Dining and Drawing Room, each Twenty-five Feet Nine Inches, by Sixteen Feet Nine Inches, together with Breakfast Room, six Lodging rooms, Dressing room convenient Kitchens, and other Out-offices, a Walled Garden, extending from the House to a back Lane leading to the Cow Pasture, the whole thereof formerly in the Occupation of the late Mr. Henry Smithson, and now of Miss Spence 
The 1861 census lists Thomas Etty, 'proprietor of houses and land' as living there. In 1891 William Walker, retired brewer, lived there (the Cattle family appeared to live next door). In 1901 and 1911, George Simpkin Cattle, Clerk to the Board of Guardians lived there.
The house was for sale by auction on Tuesday 26 March 1895 and was said to be in the occupation of Mr William Walker. It was withdrawn with the bidding at £200460 (Mr HW Pearson's bid) 
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 18th November 1843
-  York Herald, 27 March 1895
Auction - Numbers 80 and 82
Semi-detached villas, numbers 80 and 82 Newbiggin, were offered at auction in June 1913. They were in the occupation of Miss A. Colby and Mr. John Read respectively, and under a lease from the Earl Fitzwilliam for 99 years from 6th April 1886. Number 82 was let on an annual tenancy of £20030. Apart from the joint size being 779 square yards no information was given about rooms etc. Yorkshire Gazette, 31 May 1913.
There were once a number of thatched and wooden cottages in Newbiggin. Their construction left them vulnerable to fire.
One such fire broke out in the house of John Green 'which in the course of a few minutes made a very alarming progress, and from the nature of the buiding, being chiefly wood, and covered in thatch, threatened at first considerable mischief to the adjoining house and other buildings which are principally made of the same materials.' 
In 1876, fire broke out at the premises of Mr. John Warwick, jun., confectioner of Newbegin. The fire occurred in the warehouse behind the dwelling-house, where sme sweets had been boiled the previous day. The Malton Fire Brigade prevented the fire spreading. Mr Warwick was insured. 
At a meeting of the Malton Urban Council in February 1897 the disgraceful state of 3 thatched cottages belonging to Earl Fitzwilliam that had been burned down some two years earlier was discussed. They had been left in the condition they were after the fire. 
-  Oxford Journal, 31 December 1908
-  Leeds Mercury, 1 March 1876
-  Sheffield Independent, 26 February 1897
TO BE SOLD BY PRIVATE CONTRACT
ALL those Two Leasehold MESSUAGES or Dwellinghouses, with the Yard, Sculleries, Larders, and other Outbuildings behind the same, situate in Newbegin, Malton, and now in the respective occupations of Thomas Whitehead and William Bray. The premises have been built within the last few years, they are in excellent repair, and let to most respectable tenants. Further particulars may be obtained of Mr. THOMAS SMITH, Grocer, Newbegin, the owner, or at our offices,
WILSON & JACKSON, Solicitors, Malton
Malton, Feb. 12th, 1869
Malton Messenger, 13 February 1869
Gallery - Hover on picture to stop the slideshow
This website is constructed using RapidWeaver. Specific theme design is © Copyright ThemeFlood