There were rapid technical developments in photography in the middle of the 19th century. These paved the way for Victorians to develop an appetite for having their photographs taken. Very popular was the idea of having a small photograph taken and mounted on card as a 'carte de visit' - see right. These would then be collected and exchanged.
Most towns had at least one photographer and their presence can be detected in Trade Directories of the period.
It was likely that photographers visited Malton and set up temporary studios before it became viable for permanent studios to be established. One such photographer was a Mr Kaim who advertised in an early edition of the Malton & Norton Gazette (13 October 1855)
Boak, Matthew, Market place
Mahoney, John, St. Michael street
Boak, M & Sons, Market place
Mahoney, J, St. Michael street
Albert Bradbury, St. Michael street
Boak, Matthew & Co., 49 Market place
Smith, Randolph Edwin, 7 St. Michael street
Harry Edwards, 49 Market place
Smith, Randolph Edwin, 7 St. Michael street.
In the 1891 Census, Randolph Smith is listed as a 16 year old photographer's apprentice living with his parents and brother Stanley in Greengate. In the 1901 Census, Stanley is now also a photographer and employer. His sister Gertrude is described as a 'photographer's assistant.'
It would appear that Randolph Edwin and Stanley Octavius Smith were in business together as Smith Brothers as an entry in the London Gazette  announces that by mutual consent their partnership was dissolved on 31st July 1902.
It was reported that King Edward VII had accepted from Mr. Randolph Smith, of the St. Michael Street studio, Malton, an album of photographic views of the local Coronation celebrations. 
Stanley died in early 1906, his death being registered at Scarborough. Bennett's Business Directory of 1910 lists Randolph Smith as a photographer, 7 St. Michael's street, as do the Kelly's directories of 1913 and 1929.
Randolph advertises in 1923  that he has updated his studio in St. Michael's street with electricity so that photographs could be taken in the evenings. Randolph died in early 1929.
 London Gazette, 5 August 1902
 Sheffield Daily Telegraph 8 September, 1902
 Malton Messenger, 1 December 1923
Perhaps one of the first photographers to set up business in Malton. On the 1861 census he is lodging in Saville street and described as a photographer. His marriage to a Catherine Killen is reported in the Malton Messenger of 7th February 1863 - the announcement describes him as a 'photographic artist' and they both being 'of Malton'.
By the time the 1871 census had been taken Richard and Catherine are living in Bridlington.
Photographer and tobacconist, had a large studio near the railway station. In 1870 he was advertising that 'W.G.F's Photographs are considered perfection, and acknowledged by all to be the best in Malton'  Unfortunately in 1872 there was a large fire resulting in lenses and negatives being destroyed and 'so voracious were the flames that there were nothing but some pieces of iron framework and a small stove left unconsumed' .
Mr Froom stated that his insurance covered only £200 of the loss. Perhaps this led to business difficulties as in 1875 the business went into 'liquidation by arrangement'  William had set up as a photographer in Farnham, Surrey by the time of the 1881 census.
 Malton Messenger, 17 September 1870
 York Herald, 7 Sep 1872
 Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 5 May 1875
Matthew Boak already had studios in both Bridlington and Driffield when he purchased the Malton studios of Mr. Froom. His proud announcement in 1876 reads: ' Mr. Boak, photographers Driffield, announces that he has purchased the Studio, negatives and business of Mr. Froom, late of Malton, near the railway station, where he intends shortly to carry on the business' . At some point, Mr. Boak either moved or opened another studio in the Market-place. Matthew Boak died on 13 March, 1906. In his will, Matthew left his daughter Mary 'his share and interest in the business of a photographer' at Bridlington, and left £600 in trust for his son William .
His trustees offered at auction a block of freehold property comprising photographic shop, showroom and studio, also a shop occupied by the Balloon Yeast Store. The block occupying a central position in the Market-place. The lot was withdrawn. 
Matthew had sons, William, Johnson (who were also photographers) and Charles, and daughters, Mary (described in the 1891 census as an 'artist and retoucher'), Frances and Katherine. It seems likely that Johnson took a major role in the Malton studio as there are photographs in the National Archives said to be in the copyright of Johnson Boak, Helio House, Malton. A newspaper report states him as being a partner, with his father in the Malton business .
 Malton Gazette, 30 September 1876
 Driffield Times, 2 June 1906
 Driffield Times, 14 July 1906
 Driffield Times, 3 October 1906
He took the Boak premises in Malton - his advertisements in the local press suggesting this . An advertisement in the Malton Messenger, 21st August 1909, tells us that Helio House was opposite the premises of Fitch & co. He is listed in the 1911 census as boarding at 26 Cemetery Road and in business on his own account.
 Yorkshire Gazette, 20 November 1909
Another Malton photographer. While boating on the Derwent he found a body in the river . He operated from the Albert Studio in St. Michael's street and is mentioned in Kelly’s 1889 Directory of the North and East Ridings.
 Yorkshire Gazette, 11 June 1887
Mentioned in September 1867 when two photographs of the members of the Malton Archery Club, taken by him were presented to a Mr. and Mrs J. Soulby . The 1861 census tells us that he was a joiner, but in the census of 1871 he is described as a ‘photographic artist’ living with a young family in the Marketplace. In the 1881 census he is still in the Marketplace but living at the Temperance Hotel where his wife is described as ‘Temperance Hotel Keeper’. Daughter Elizabeth is now also a photographer. At some point he also had studios at St. Michael Street as publicised on the back of a number of his carte de visite.
 Yorkshire Gazette, 28 September 1867
Charles Caisley Bogg also operated a studio from 7 St. Michael street.
He was a blacksmith in Malton but evidently had an interest in photography too. In January 1900 he was given a big send-off to join the forces in the Boer war . In 1901 he has been invalided from the forces and is showing lantern slides at the Malton Industrial Exhibition 
 York Herald, 8 January 1900
 Yorkshire Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 7 February 1901
In the 1890s Mr. Bradbury was a jeweller at 6 St. Michael street and evidently had a photography sideline (listed in Kellys 1893 Directory as 'watchmaker & photographer').
Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Education | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship