This was operated by James Russell & Co. An annual cricket match was played among the employees 
The grandfather of James Russell was the partner in 'Russell and Witty' brewers and maltster operating in the town in the early part of the 19th century. At this time there were two other prominent brewers: Tomlinson & Co., and Walker and Dunlop. 
 York Herald, 17 August 1892
 Yorkshire Gazette, 16 May 1914
The Crystal Brewery existed in 1866 when it was described as 'flooded'.  In 1896 someone at that address was wanting a position as under-brewer or brewer  It was operated by the William Wrangham and became a limited company in 1893 being registered on the 14th March with a capital of £12,000 in £10 shares, to acquire the business of Wm. Wrangham, heretofore carried on by him at Malton, Yorkshire, and to carry on the business of brewers, millers, maltsters, corn, hay, seed, forage, flour, manure, wine and spirit merchants and importers, hop merchants, malt factors, coppers, bottlers, bottle makers, and all analogous trades. The subscribers are:- Wm. Wrangham, Malton, brewer 500; T. Leefe, Malton, ironmonger, 20; G.W. Slater, Malton, seedsman, 20; G.W. Hardy, Malton, chemist 20; Wm. Dixon, Malton, brewer’s traveller, 5; E. Clough, Malton, Brewer’s clerk, 5; E. Wrangham, Malton, spinster, 5. The number of directors is not to be more than seven, nor less than two, the first being Wm. Wrangham, T. Leefe, J. Marriott, G.W. Slater, and G.W. Hardy; qualification £200, remuneration £50 per annum. Registered offices, 13 Yorkersgate, Malton, Yorkshire.
 Hull Packet, 7 September 1866
 Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough, 12 February 1896
 Daily Gazette for Middlesbrough 18 March 1893