The Manure Company
The mill and works of the Malton Farmers’ Manure and Trading Company were situated near the Malton railway station. The original foundation of these was in 1832 when Mr. James Wise erected a mill for bone crushing, and then in 1874 this was taken over and registered as the "Malton Farmers' Manure and Trading Company". This became a flourishing business under the guidance of Mr. William Hodgson, manager, and manufactured and supplied manures and feeding stuffs. The business provided good dividends to its shareholders. The smell caused in the town of the processes being operated by the company and the storage of bones and fish material came to the fore in 1878 when the Local Board of Health brought an action for 'nuisance.'  A number of people gave evidence at this. However, it was concluded that although there had been a nuisance, it was not injurious to public health.
On Saturday 9th December 1893, a fire completely gutted the mill.  The works had the first use of electric light in Malton  but the fire destroyed the dynamo. Efforts of the fire brigade prevented the fire spreading to the warehouse.
The works re-started on Wednesday, 7th March 1894. The ceremony of re-opening the works and formally installing the new electric lighting apparatus was performed by Mr. W.H. rose, chairman of directors 'who addressed the workmen at length, thanking them and the manager for their energy in assisting in the re-erection.' 
 York Herald, 23 December 1878
 York Herald, 12 December 1893
 Yorkshire Gazette, 25 February 1893
 Yorkshire Gazette, 10 March 1894
The following article is taken from the Yorkshire Gazette series "Malton Trades and Industries:
The company with which this article deals was formed in 1874, but the business which was then taken over had been in existence for several years. The premises opposite the railway station “were finished and occupied as a bone mill” – to quote the diary of a deceased Maltonian – in 1862, and the business was carried on by Mr. J.H. Wise under the name of J.H. Wise and Co. The present company was formed under the name of the Malton Farmers’ Manure and Trading Co., with the object of supplying agriculturists, or rather enabling them to supply themselves with chemical manures and “every description of agricultural manure of proved value as a fertiliser, at a price which will simply pay a fair commercial interest on the capital employed in the undertaking.” With this end in view the management was placed in the hands of agriculturists, and the first directors were Messrs. Digby Cayley (chairman), Tranmer, Coulson, Robert Boulton, Robert Hall, William H. Rose, Richard Smeeton, and Seth Tinsley, with Mr. Edward Taylor as secretary and general manager. The office was at this time in St. Michael-st., but but some years later the present commodious offices in Wheelgate were taken. The capital of the company was £20,000, composed of £10 shares. In a prospectus of the company it is claimed that the company was meeting a want very generally felt among farmers, and the prospectus adds that “it is not necessary to remind agriculturists how much it is to their advantage to buy manures which they may feel perfectly certain they are genuine.”
Since the formation of the company the business has largely developed, and the mills at Norton have been considerably enlarged.
Used at first solely for bone crushing, the works are now fitted with intricate machinery for dissolving and grinding bones and the manufacture of mineral superphosphates. All kinds of artificial manures for different crops and for all soils are also compounded. Bones are crushed to a large extent in the form of meal and quarter-inch dust which are extensively used by Wold farmers for turnip growing. Much attention is also given to the making of various kinds of manure material to suit different crops, and in this direction the company do a large trade with farmers over a wide area. Necessarily, the bulk of the company’s business is done with agriculturists in the immediate district, but the company’s products are in demand at Pickering, Kirbymoorside, Scarborough, Helmsley, Thirsk, Bedale, Northallerton, Ripon, Leyburn, York, Easingwold, Darlington, Stockton, Newcastle, etc. As showing the trade which the company does it may be mentioned that about two thousand tons of raw bones are ground and dissolved in a season, and the mills turn out about eight thousand tons of manures in the same period. The season lasts from the middle of February till June, and between twenty and forty men are employed at the mills, according to the season. The manufacture of mineral superphosphates is an important branch of the company’s business, the raw phosphate for this purpose being imported from Tunis.
The company was the first business concern to introduce the electric light in Malton. The work of installation was completed at the mills in January, 1893, and the light was formally switched on by the late Mr. W.H. Rose, the then chairman of the board of directors. At the same time a gas-making apparatus was installed in order to produce power to drive the engines. In December of the same year a fire broke out at the works, with the result that the mill was completely gutted, and the electric light installation, including the dynamo, was destroyed. The damage was said to be over £1,300. Although the fire was so disastrous work was not entirely suspended, and in a short time the mill was rebuilt. The whole of the directorate are agriculturists, and the shareholders are largely composed of farmers. The present directors are Messrs. J.A. Coulson, Scarborough; H. Prodham, Sherburn; F.W. Buttle, Kirkham Manor, Driffield; and W. Fisher, Amotherby. Mr. W. Southwick is the general manager and secretary, he having succeeded the late Mr. W. Hodgson in 1902 
An earlier article suggests the company was formed by taking over and amalgamating the businesses of Mr. Edward Taylor who became the secretary and general manager, and, Messrs. J.H. Wise & Co. who were already bone-crushers in the town. The same article states that 'the bones, purely English, collected from neighbouring towns chiefly, are stacked to an enormous height, along with other raw materials, in the yard outside. Here they are carefully sorted by experienced men, who pick out all the horns, hoofs, bits of glass, iron and other unmentionables ... ... The mill reduces the bones to various sizes, half-inch, quarter-inch, and dust, as may be required' 
 Yorkshire Gazette Dec 2nd 1911