Charles Jagger was the son of Mr. Jagger, spirit merchant, who occupied the premises in Castlegate next to Mr. Snow’s. He was articled to Mr. Walker, the solicitor, whose offices were at the top of Old Maltongate, opposite the Lodge gates. After leaving Mr. Walker he went for a time to London, and then started a practice in St. Michael-st., Malton.
He married Miss Smith, a Malton lady, whose brother, Mr. Smith, a piano maker (the builder of the premises now occupied by the “Malton Gazette” for a factory), married Mr. Jagger’s sister, so that the families of the two couples were doubly related to one another.
A clergyman, long since dead, used often to say that Mr. Jagger was that rare avis, an honest lawyer. He certainly was an upright, conscientious man, and a gentleman both by act of Parliament, and by nature. A well-known figure, rosy of face and active in his movements, he used to be seen daily walking on the river-side accompanied by his daughters and a big black retriever. Being very fond of flowers, he would hunt for and find bee orchids and other rare blooms.
Mr. Jagger’s practice was of the conveyancing and will-making order; he always declined to appear in any court or to have anything to do with any kind of litigious practice. Many Maltonians will remember vividly calling upon Mr. Jagger in his office, at the corner of Wheelgate and St. Michael-st., and finding him in a typical lawyer’s den; books, dust, high desk and stools. A radical change was effected in the aspect of Malton when the estate gutted the office and house which he and his family inhabited for so long in order that it might become a brand new place of business.
An unswerving Tory of the old school, Mr. Jagger would indeed have been terribly upset with the suffragettes and with the legislation of to-day. But in spite of his old-fashioned Toryism he was far more practically Liberal than many of the so-called Liberals of that day, and quite free from any suspicion of cant and humbug. He was buried in Old Malton churchyard (in the corner adjoining the Abbey grounds), leaving two daughters to mourn his loss.
SPECTATOR Bygone Maltonians, II, Yorkshire Gazette, 19th October 1912
A Golden Wedding - In the list of marriages in another column will be found the announcement of the golden wedding of Mr and Mrs Edward Johnson, of this town, and we are glad to join in hearty congratulations to them on this auspicious event. The marriage took place on the 2nd June, 1859, at St. Leonard's Church, Malton, the officiating clergyman being the Rev. J.C.A. Clarkson. Mr. Johnson was at that time a biscuit manufacturer, he and his partner, Mr. Taylor, carrying on business at the Derwent Mill, in Castlegate, which was burnt down on the night of the 19th and early morning of the 20th February, 1868. Mr. Johnson was one of the leading men of the Malton Elocution Class, who used to bring out popular plays at Malton Theatre over 40 years ago, and notwithstanding his age - he is 83 - it is only a few months ago since he gave a very good exhibition of his elocutionary power at the Malton Adult School. Mrs. Johnson was the third daughter of Mr. John Hudson, ironmonger, Wheelgate, Malton (who carried on the business now in the hands of Mr. G.F. Johnson). We are glad to be bale to say that both Mr. and Mrs. Johnson are enjoying good health.
Malton Messenger, 5th June 1909
Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship