The railways were in their heyday in Victorian times. Malton station must have been a busy place since not only was it on the York to Scarborough line, but also the point of interchange for Driffield, Whitby, and Thirsk branches.
Malton was served by 3 lines:
York & Scarborough
Malton & Driffield
Malton & Whitby
THE ABOLITION OF TURNPIKES IN YORKSHIRE - An influential meeting of the magistrates and gentry was held at the Talbot Hotel, Malton, on Tuesday (the Rev. Edward Day, of Norton, presiding) to consider the question of the abolition of turnpikes as between York and Malton, and Malton and Scarborough. The formation of railways has so greatly reduced the traffic upon those once crowded roads that the toll-bars are now felt to be unrequired. After a discussion, a division took place upon the motion to discontinue the toll-bars on the 1st September next, which was carried by a slight majority. After that date, therefore, the roads will have to be maintained by the several parishes through which they pass. The only roads in the district in which toll-gates are not condemned is between Malton and Pickering. (Yorkshire Gazette 18th March 1865)
Not surprisingly with such a new phenomenon, there were accidents. In February 1854, a seven year old boy was crossing the railway at Norton Bridge when he was knocked down and the carriages passed over him. 'One of his arms became crushed … and his head frightfully fractured.' The newspaper report concluded with an observation 'We trust that the railway authorities will adopt some further precautions by which parties may be effectually prevented from being on the line at the time when trains are approaching this dangerous crossing.' 
In August 1854 a porter at Malton Station was in a serious accident which sadly left him crippled for life. On Aug 25th last month, Edward Harrison was on the platform when the evening 9.10 train arrived from Driffield. For some unknown reason, Harrison the ported decided to get onto the tender of the engine whilst it as still in motion. He missed the step and his foot was caught between the wheel and the edge of the platform crushing and tearing his foot. He was attended at home by Messers. Jones and Mennell, surgeons and Dr Wright but unfortunately amputation of his foot was necessary. A man in his prime disabled for life! 
In 1865, Mr. Thomas Sturdy, a well known cattle dealer and drover, when crossing the line to go to some sheep, was knocked down and killed. Both legs and one hand were cut off. 'The deceased seems to have been so intent on his business that he did not notice the approaching engine in front of which he stepped.' 
 Yorkshire Gazette, 18 February 1854
 Malton Messenger, 2 September 1854
 Yorkshire Gazette, 11 February 1865
There was strong feeling about a report that the station was to be in Norton rather than Malton, and a public meeting was held in Malton to explain the outcome of a meeting between Earl Fitzwilliam, Mr. Copperthwaite (town bailiff) and Mr. Hudson of the railway company, in London . Three options had been looked at, station in Malton, station in Norton by the bridge, station across the river in a field and with bridge and approaches erected to link to the town at Earl Fitzwilliam’s expense (£4000). A station in the town was rejected as being too expensive and would occasion delay. It was reported that Earl Fitzwilliam had chosen the Norton option. Mr. Sewell spoke at the meeting and made a case that with the station in Norton, it would prosper at the expense of Malton, and therefore it would be to Earl Fitzwilliam’s benefit to have the station in the field across the river and invest in the bridge and approaches, and that investment in warehouses would more than compensate for the costs of the bridge. The meeting concluded to re-approach Earl Fitzwilliam and to raise £1,000 by subscription.
The matter as not easily decided, and on Thursday, the 25th of July, Mr. Alderman Hudson attended at Malton, and had an interview with several of the gentry of the town and neighbourhood, at which we understand it was agreed that the Station should be in the bone mill and brick-yard field, in the occupation of Jonathan Booth, and Co., and belonging to Robert Bower, Esq., of Welham, with a bridge over the Derwent, and a communication thence into Yorkersgate, the centre of the town of Malton. This arrangement appears the best calculated to please all parties, though, as it happens always in such cases, some persons are dissatisfied with it. Preliminary operations have already commenced, and in a short time we expect a start in earnest will take place 
it would appear that there was still uncertainty, and in late September 1844, Earl Fitzwilliam came to Malton to see the progress of the railway construction and examine the options for the station for himself . I have not found reference to when the final decision was made, nor how the costs were met - but we do know that it was built in the field across the river and that a new bridge and street were constructed!
 Yorkshire Gazette, 30 March 1844
 Yorkshire Gazette, 3 August 1844
 Yorkshire Gazette, 5 October 1844
The road leaving Malton for Norton was known as the Scarborough turnpike road. The railway crossed this and it is probable that there were gates and a crossing here from the earliest days of the railway, together with a gate-keeper. The earliest evidence I have of this is a report of a suicide on Christmas Eve 1849.  A young man named Skelton, engaged in some conversation with the gate-keeper and then jumped in front of the train, 'which passed over him, severing his limbs, and scattering them about the line in various directions.' The question of delays at the crossing was discussed at a meeting of Norton Urban District Council in July 1900 and the possibility of a footbridge hinted at 
The new iron bridge over the Derwent at Malton was opened for foot passengers on Thursday. In a week the footbridge is expected to be ready for general traffic. The whole of the old wooden bridge has now been removed 
 Bradford Observer, 3 January 1850
 York Herald 25 July 1900
 Driffield Times, 28 January 1871
No 2 1909
No 3 1912
No 4 February 1905
The railways not only made possible the quick transport of goods but also gave the people of Malton the opportunity to travel further afield in their leisure time. The advertisement, left, appeared in the Malton Messenger dated 4th June 1870. In September 1857, the number of tickets issued for an excursion from Malton to Scarbro’ was estimated at 1,100, ‘the greatest number ever known to be supplied for one trip from Malton’  Typically advertised TRIP TO SCARBRO' on Tuesday, another cheap excursion train conveyed passengers from this town and neighbourhood to the above delightful watering place, for one shilling for the double journey. Nearly three hundred persons were booked at the Malton railway station. The Malton Union Brass Band, led by Mr. H. Milburn, of Leeds, accompanied the excursionists . From the mid 1870s an annual private excursion was organised by Mr. Fitch, a draper in the town. 'The 15th annual excursion having taken place and 260 people attending a trip to the Dukeries  More ambitious destinations included Paris.
 York Herald, 26 September 1857
 York Herald, 7 August 1858
 Malton Messenger,17 March 1928
 Yorkshire Gazette, 1 August 1891
The basic station building seems to have stood the test of time, even though a number of alterations and refurbishments have taken place. This postcard postmarked May 1910. There was no footbridge between the platforms, but staff were kept busy operating a 'trolley bridge' so that passengers could gain access to the platforms. A little more about how this worked can be had from a short piece in the York Post and Leeds Intelligencer, 28 March, 1872:
"A singular and quite unique arrangement exists at Malton station for getting passengers from one platform to another. This is done be means of a “bogie’ bridge”, running on cross-tramway, and which is when wanted pulled from under the flags of the up platform, and fastened across the down line. On Saturday night an engine found the bogie in this position, and smashed it up. A passenger train may do the same thing, as a new bogie was put down on Tuesday."
It was still in place more than 30 years later when a small note in the Yorkshire Gazette, 28 October 1905. ‘… reminds us of miraculous escapes from death or injury that have been seen at the Malton Station, where what is, we believe, technically known as a “bogey,” connects the up and down platforms. When trains from York are due this contrivance is run under the platform, and passengers arriving from Scarborough, Whitby or stations in these directions are obliged to remain on the platform sometimes 10 or 15 minutes. This naturally causes considerable inconvenience, and the danger arises through people crossing the line instead of waiting until the wooden bridge is pulled from under the platform. The only way to obviate the difficulty would be for a footbridge to be erected, and thus connect the two platforms. Not known when this was finally removed.
A brief history of Malton station, sidings etc can be found here.
Not all the buildings erected by the railway company have survived. A large warehouse built in the former wood yard between the railway station and the river by the North Eastern Railway Company collapsed. Caused probably by the digging away of tarmacadam, frost, foundations in sand and recent flooding of the river. 
 Yorkshire Gazette, 13 December 1856
Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Education | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship