Prominent in the Market Place is St. Michael’s Church parts of which remain from Norman times. Market day in the 1850s was Saturday and a selection of hostelries provided for the attendees: the Black Bull, Kings Head, Black Swan, Fleece, Golden Lion, Green Man, Old Globe, Old Talbot, and Royal Oak. Many carriers offered their services from these inns on a Saturday. The Town Hall is also here, along with a pump, a number of shops, and the stone market cross.

Hirings

MALTON STATUTES - on Saturday last, it being the occasion of the first day of the statutes, or hirings, there were a great number of servants assembled in the market place, as also of farmers and masters, which made the public houses very busy, and the town to where a bustling appearance. Wages were about the same as at other hirings lately held at neighbouring towns, and we are told a great number of servants were engaged. We observed some striking examples of the effects of “intoxicating liquers” on the unsophisticated rustics, but we have not heard anything untoward occurring beyond what is usual on such occasions [1].
[1] York Herald, 21 November 1840)

1908 Improvements The Yorkshire Gazette of 24 October 1908 reports that at Messrs. Fitch & Co's establishment "large new plate-glass window frames have been put in, with the result that more effective window displays are now obtainable. This same article states that the front of the shop of Mr. John C. Wilson has been re-built, giving an improved appearance to the Finkle-st. entrance to the Market place.

Gallery

  • Stacks Image 18832
  • Stacks Image 18835
  • Stacks Image 18838
  • Stacks Image 18841
  • Stacks Image 18844
  • Stacks Image 18847
  • Stacks Image 18850
  • Stacks Image 18853
  • Stacks Image 18856
  • Stacks Image 18859
  • Stacks Image 18862
  • Stacks Image 18865
  • Stacks Image 36515

Hover on image to pause slide show

The Town Hall

The Town Hall, in the Market Place, is a large plain stone building, to which a new wing was built in 1855, by Earl Fitzwilliam. In front of the new part is a stone balustrade or balcony, to be used at elections, or on occasions when public assemblies are to be officially addressed. The interior of the new wing contains a good flight of stone stairs, and some ante-rooms. In the lower story of the old part of the building are, the board room of the Guardians of the Poor, and their clerk's office; the office of the Board of Health; and the Superintendent Registrar's office. The upper story contains the Court room, in which the Magistrates hold Petty Sessions every alternate Saturday; and in which the County Court is held monthly before William Raines, Esq., judge [1].
[1] City and Topography of the City of York and North Riding of Yorkshire by T. Whellan & Co, 1857

Fire in the Market Place

The Yorkshire Gazette of 29 April 1913 reports a serious fire in the Market place with damage to the Kings Head and the adjoining draper's shop of Mr. Foster.

Kings Head Blaze YG 19 Apr 1913



Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship