Introduction

The area where The Mount now is was ‘a large open place’ called Gelding Hill. Here boys played cricket, the circuses that visited were held as were poultry fairs [1].
[1] Russell’s Malton, Norton & District Almanac & Diary, 1888

See the Gallery at the bottom of the page.

Development

Large 'villas' were built by The Fitzwilliam Estate for the 'well-to-do' in The Mount. In 1890, an advertisement informs that such properties had 'gas and water laid on' [1] TO LET with immediate possession, a pleasant semi-detached VILLA, situate on the Mount, Malton (five minutes from the Railway Station), containing two good sitting rooms, and (including attics) eight bedrooms and box room, capital kitchens, cellars, &c. Gas and water laid on. Rent and rates moderate. - Apply to Mr. Geo. Russell …'
[1] Yorkshire Gazette, 27 September 1890

No. 6 The Mount

No 6 The Mount MM 25021922

This was advertised for sale by auction in the Malton Messenger, 25 February 1922. While clearly a substantial property it is not clear that it had gas or electricity services.

Claremont Villa

The Mount was a popular area where the well to do of Malton could live in a splendid villa. Claremont Villa was offered for sale at an auction on 19th October, 1874, and advertised in the York Herald, 15 October 1874:

CLAREMONT VILLA, MALTON
… … …
All that Valuable Leasehold MESSUAGE, or DWELLING-HOUSE, known as Claremont Villa, The Mount, Malton, and lately occupied by Miss Masterman.
The House contains on the ground floor Dining, Drawing, and Breakfast Rooms, and Library. On the basement, a good Kitchen, Scullery, and all necessary Out-offices. On the first and second floors are eight good Bedrooms and w.c.; also two small Rooms suitable for Bathrooms. The house is supplied with gas and water, is in first-class repair, and ready for immediate occupation. There is a carriage laid drive in the front. The grounds are well laid out, planted with fine shrubs and good fruit trees, and the whole premises are surrounded with a substantial stone wall. the premises are leasehold of Earl Fitzwilliam for the unexpired term of 92 years, at a ground rent of £2 per annum.
… …

No 21 The Mount

This was completed in 1864. See the 1952 sale catalogue describing this property by clicking here.

No 25 The Mount

'Fern Croft' was advertised for sale in the Malton Messenger of 6 May 1922 as being for many years in the occupation of Mrs. Charles Russell. A full description of the accommodation is given and the house was said to be 'lighted by gas' and 'leasehold, under the Earl Fitwilliam for a term of which 34 years are unexpired at April 6th this year.'


Gallery - hover on picture to stop the slideshow


  • Stacks Image 18914
  • Stacks Image 18917
  • Stacks Image 18920


Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Education | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship



Gallery - hover on picture to stop the slideshow