DISCOVERY OF ROMAN REMAINS
The excavations for the drainage of the town of Malton now progressing have exposed a section of the Roman road leading from the important station at Malton (?Derventio) to Eburacum. The road is close upon the oolie rock, and is formed of pebbles (fragments of the secondary rocks) apparently water worn, as if brought from some point of the coast. This ancient roadway does not seem to have been paved, but has greater resemblance to the modern method of Mac Adam. It is already traced throughout the length of Yorkersgate, and averages a depth of about three feet below the present surface. About a foot above the Roman road a section of another road was also found. Lying upon it were numerous evidences of fire, and the stones bore marks of semi-calcination, the superincumbent earth being extremely dark in colour - in fact nearly black. In a few places compressed beds of ashes were exhumed. Probably these evidences of fire mark the road on which they lie as being the level of the old town previous to its destruction by fire by the Scots, in Thurstan's time. Between the two roads fragments of bone much petrified, and an occasional piece of pottery have been found, but as yet only one very small fragment of Samian ware has been noticed. A very peculiar fault occurs in the rock near the junction of Railway-street several feet thick of pure red sand and a thin bed of clay being suddenly entered. The excavations are to be continued throughout the streets of the town and probably further interesting discoveries may be made.
Yorkshire Gazette, 26 January 1861
DISCOVERY OF ROMAN ROADS
In Malton, on Monday, in excavating for drainage round the Post Office, portions of two Roman roads were cut through about three feet below the present surface. One road was that which led towards the west (York, &c.), and the other, in Wheelgate, to the north (Isurium), and also to Praetorium (Dunsley). Both were paved an run together with a cement or mortar. Upon the road burnt stones and earth were plentiful, intermingled with quantities of bones of the horse, ok, and swine. It is conjectured the animals may have perished in the streets during the burning of the town by Archbishop Thurstan, in order to dislodge the Scots, in 1135. The bones, through long burial, had become flint-like, and quite as hard.
Newcastle Journal, 15 September 1864


Contact me | Sitemap
Business | Census | Land & Property | Maltonians | Newspapers | Old Pictures & Maps | Railway | River Derwent
Streets | Topics & Events | Town Guides | Walks | Sources
Apprentices | Banks | Breweries | Cemetery | Floods | Health | Industry | Photographers | Police & Fire
Pubs & Beerhouses | Secret Orders | Talbot Hotel | Utilities | Workhouse | World War One | Worship