1867 Great Flood
Such was the flood in early 1867 that there was mention in The Illustrated London News  'THE GREAT FLOODS IN NORTH YORKSHIRE' The sudden melting of the snow on the wolds and moors in North Yorkshire in the latter days of January caused the most disastrous floods throughout the lower lands between Thirsk and Malton, and especially in the neighbourhood of Malton. Two streams, the Rye and Riccal, overflowed to such an extent that the waters united, and only the trees were visible. The villages and roads along the course of the Leven were also inundated. The roads were 4 ft. to 5 ft. deep in some hollows, and all communication with Malton was cut off. At Newsham Bridge, over the Rye, the river was about two miles wide. The old Derwent had expanded into an immense lake several miles in length. On both sides of the Pickering railway the land was 3 ft deep in water. The Malton and Scarborough road for miles was impassable; the post messenger managed to get through on horseback, but with difficulty. The town of Old Malton was flooded, although since the great flood of 1846 the streets have been raised nearly 3 ft. On Saturday night the 26th ult., the flood on the Malton and York and Scarborough Railways, and the other three lines meeting at Malton, as far as Norton junction, was 12 in above the rails, and the utmost difficulty was found in working the traffic. Pilot engines were run out of Malton before every train going east or west, in order to prove the line, apprehensions being formed that the great current might remove the ballast. Floating timber, too, gave rise to fear of disaster, and men in boats were engaged in keeping it off the railway. It was quite a novelty to see a wrecker’s boat get out of the way of passing trains. For several miles the line of railway was the only portion of ground not under water, and below Malton the line itself was covered, but the trains got through. At the county bridge at Malton, connecting the North with the East Riding, the three large arches were nearly submerged in the boiling flood. Most of the flour-mills, some of which had never been stopped for twenty years, were flooded, one or two having 3 ft. of water in the lower floors. The biscuit-works, gasworks, breweries, tanneries, and merchants’ yards near the river were inundated. Cattle had to be driven off the fields at night, and workmen were engaged night and day in saving property. Rabbits rats, and moles were perched on the railway rails, and the rats even in the trees, and boating and shooting over the flooded fields seemed to afford capital sport. Property of all sorts, both live and dead, came down the river, and there were ‘wreckers’ in many places eager to get hold of it. In consequence of the saturated condition of the land the water from the natural springs rose so high that at the Crown and Anchor Hotel, Malton, the spring water rose 2 ft. out of the ground, and necessitated the removal of the flags of the footpath. This water emerged from the oolite range, almost exclusively oolite, which runs south-east of Malton. The farmers will feel the effects for some time to come. It it stated that all the wheat lands of the low country will have to be sown afresh.
That same month, the Nottinghamshire Guardian , gives some additional information: 'In Malton, the wells, &tc in the lower part are flooded and stopped, and in she cases this is the seventh occurrence of the kind side last July, or one flood per month … The Malton Waterworks are again submerged ...'
 The Illustrated London News, 9th February 1867
 Nottinghamshire Guardian, 1st February 1867