What trades and businesses have been carried on?
Apprentices, Banks, Breweries, Industry, Photographers.
Trade Directories and Newspaper Advertisements.
Although directories may have been compiled one or more years before their publication date they are a very useful source of information. The changing incidence of occupations over the years is an indication of how the town was developing. If you are interested in a family then these directories can supplement census information or help you locate somebody in the census. I am not aware of any directories devoted solely to Malton. A list of Trade Directories and where you will find them is given here. I have transcribed a small number of Trade Directories. Click to view one of the following transcriptions:
- 1823 Baines
- 1828/9 Pigots
- 1840 Whites
- 1851 Whites
- 1858 Whites
- 1867 Whites
- 1889 Kellys
- 1905 Kellys
- 1913 Kellys
Tradesmen in the Town
In the 19th and early 20th centuries the trades carried on in the town were different to what survives today as were the goods and services. I have collected a number of advertisements from local newspapers and also a small number of invoices and receipts. These are organised alphabetically by name of the business or surname of the trader
It was a relatively common occurrence for traders to become unable to pay their debts. The reasons included fraud, bad business practice, and misfortune (such as loss of stock through fire.) During the Victorian period commerce evolved considerably and attempts were made to reflect consequent changing needs in the bankruptcy law. In the period immediately before 1831 the management of the estate of a bankrupt was done by an assignee appointed by the creditors. For the London area, the 1831 Bankruptcy Act introduced the concept of a court appointed assignee, an Act of 1842 extending this to country areas. Formal bankruptcy could be avoided if either a certain majority of creditors (the definition of majority evolved with various legislation) entered a 'composition agreement' with the debtor where assets were sold and the proceeds used to pay the creditors so much in the £; or, entered into a 'deed of arrangement' whereby the debtor could continue trading, and pay his debts over an extended period. For the benefit of creditors, announcements were made in The London Gazette summarising the status of proceedings - extract of the entries 1820-1868 from the London Gazette. The Times, local newspapers and Perry's Bankrupt and Insolvent Gazette also contain bankruptcy announcements.
Watch & Clockmakers
In August 1908 there was a letter to the editor from a T.P. Cooper published in the Yorkshire Gazette, listing the clockmakers who lived at Malton ‘at the beginning of the last century’. The first three were said to be Freemen of York :
- John Agar
- George Bartliff
- Robert Bartliff
- James Carr
- Gilbert Kidd
- Thomas Kidd
- Coultas Skelton
- George Sykes
 Yorkshire Gazette, 29 August 1908
The name of Longster is one of the many which have been associated with the business life of Malton for several years. It was over a century ago that Mr. William songster, the great grandfather of the present head of the firm, originated the business which has now grown to such large proportions. Mr. William Longster started in a very humble way. He began by taking four acres of clay ground on the banks of the river Derwent, and this group was so stubborn that it is said that whenever a piece of land needed digging the spade had to be first dipped into a bucket of water. But by continuous work, and by distributing several hundred loads of road sweepings over the land, the nursery grounds in course of time became considerably altered until now they are most productive. After a time a small shop was opened in Old Maltongate, this being next to the shop now occupied by Mr. T. Blanchard. Here and at the nursery the business was carried on by the son of the founder, also named William. About sixty years ago the late Mr. George Longster succeeded to the business, which for some time was still carried on at Old Maltongate. The Wheelgate shop was taken in the early seventies, but before this move, the nurseries had been enlarged to the extent of eleven additional acres of ground which Mr. Geo. Longster took from Earl Fitzwilliam on the Castle Howard-road, near the waterworks reservoir. Mr. George Longster died with tragic suddenness about thirty years ago while attending Pickering market, and after his death the business was carried on by his sons, Messrs. Tom, and George Longster, under the now familiar name of Messrs. George Longster and Sons. Under their management the business was largely developed, especially in the glass department, and an additional eight new glass-houses were erected at the nurseries. These houses were very largely used for the cultivation of chrysanthemum, which at this time was becoming exceedingly popular.
About four years ago Messrs. Longster and Sons acquired the business of Messrs. J. Slater and Sons, and took over from that firm the shop at the corner of Yorkersgate and Railway-st., with extensive warehouses at the back of the premises, 25 acres of established nursery ground and several greenhouses. At present the firm cultivates forty acres of land, the nurseries being known as the Derwent and Castle Howard-road grounds, and in the spring and summer the nurseries are favourite rendezvous for residents and visitors. The Derwent nurseries, with their charming situation on the banks of the river, are perhaps the most popular, and it is nor surprising to find that the firm's kind permission to stroll about the grounds or rest on the seats which are placed under the old umbrageous trees is much appreciated and enjoyed. During the summer, on Sunday afternoons, sacred concerts are frequently given by the local bands, and the collections taken are usually devoted to charitable objects. But while the Derwent nurseries are the more popular, the Castle Howard-road grounds are well worth visiting. There are all kinds of flowers and plants to be seen various stages of cultivation, and the acres of fruit trees, for which the firm is famous all over the North, afford a splendid spectacle when out in full bloom or when laden with luscious fruit. Messrs. Longsters specialise in other branches of their business besides fruit trees, some of the more important being rose trees and herbaceous plants now generally known as perennials. With respect to the last-mentioned, Messrs. Longsters have achieved distinct success with their exhibits at York Gala for several years. The reference to York Gala reminds us that the late Mr. Geo. Longster was the originator of the Malton Gala, and with Mr. Jas. Horsley, he was one of the earliest promoters of the Norton Chrysanthemum Society, the second oldest society for the encouragement of the growth of the autumn bloom in the country. The present head of the firm is a fellow of the Royal Horticultural Society and a member of the North of England Horticultural Society; and the firm has won several competition cups and numberless certificates of merit at all the principal exhibitions. Messrs. Longsters give much attention to forest trees, and they have executed many contracts for planting with most of the estate agents in the district. They are also successful in landscape gardening, and the grounds of many mansions in the North have been laid out by them. Another feature of the business is the making up of artistic floral designs by lady florists, and some of the work which has been thus turned out has gained the encomiums of well-known judges. In the seed department the firm is specifically noted for their farm seeds, and Messrs. Longsters give prizes annually to their customers in connection with competitions held at the Malton Fat Stock Show. The following catalogues are issued by the firm and copies will readily be posted on application being made to that effect: Spring list of seeds, summer list of bedding plants, agricultural seed list, autumn bulb list, and a general nursery catalogue (September). A member of the firm attended the various markets at Scarborough, Pickering, Helmsley, Kirbymoorside, Driffield, etc., and the firm's goods are sent regularly to all parts of the North. The Castle Howard nurseries are situated in one of the most exposed parts of North-East Yorkshire, and having at their disposal a few additional acres of virgin soil the firm is able to keep stocks well matured and of healthy growth, free from insect pests. It may be mentioned that the firm employs about forty hands. At the beginning of the year the partnership subsisting between Mr. Geo. Henry Longster and Mr. Harold Longster was dissolved by consent, and henceforward the business will be carried on by Mr. Harold Longster under the same style as before.
Malton Trades and Industries, Yorkshire Gazette, 27th January 1912
The York Herald of 14 February 1882 reported that 'Mr. George Longster died on 13th February 1882, the well-known nurseryman and florist, of the Derwent Nurseries, Malton, died very suddenly at Pickering, where he had gone to attend the market. He had just partaken of dinner at the Bay horse Hotel, when he died in his chair. He had suffered for many years from heart disease, and it is thought an inquest will not be necessary.'
Fitch & Co
The gradual development of the firm of Messrs. Fitch and Co. makes an interesting story. Everybody in this district is acquainted with the headquarters of the firm at Nos. 16-24, Market-place, Malton, where a reputation has been gained for millinery, dresses, linen, silks, and all that can be included in the term general drapery, as well as carpets, linoleum, and all kinds of household furniture. The business, as it now exists, is an amalgamation of what were originally three separate establishments. One of these was founded by the late Mr. James Fitch at 16 and 18, Market-place, which premises had bee rebuilt by the late Mr. Jefferson, chemist, who had the business now carried on by Mr. James Buckle. A Mr. Foster had previously occupied those shops as a hatter and mercer, but he, with his family, emigrated to the United States, and Mr. Fitch took over his business. The need of increased accommodation was soon recognised by Mr. Fitch, and he had to extend the shop. As the business still continued to grow rapidly, enlargements had repeatedly to be made, and large showrooms were added.
What is now the carpet and linoleum shop was originally used in the old fashioned way as a combined drapery and grocery establishment, the occupier being Mr. Clegg. At that time one half of the shop was utilised for groceries and the other half for drapery goods. Later on a very successful drapery business was carried on here by the late Mr. Paul Hicks, after he had resigned an important position which he held under the late Mr. Peter Robinson, Oxford st., London. Mr. Hicks, it will be remembered, died at West Park, York-rd., a few years ago. He was succeeded in the business by Mr. Goldthorpe, and he in turn by Mr. Barker, after which the shop and business were added to the already large establishment of Messrs. Fitch and Co., as the firm was now called. The premises now used as the furniture shop were occupied for many years by the late Mr. Andrew Taylor, J.P., who carried on a very prosperous drapery business. On retiring, Mr. Taylor was succeeded by Mr. Newby, who, however, did not long retain the shop and it also was merged in the firm of Fitch and Co.
It is interesting to recall the fact that these premises were rebuilt by Mr. Andrew Taylor's grandfather in 1783, and after being occupied by him for some years passed to his son, and ultimately to Mr. Andrew Taylor. Thus for a great many years the name of Taylor was associated with the Market-place. In the "good old days" nearly all tradesmen lived over their shops, and, consequently, in the rebuilding schemes already mentioned provision was made accordingly. Many of the rooms which are now stocked with furniture, were then occupied by the tradesman and his household. After Mr. Taylor's shop was acquired by Fitch and Co. extensive workshops were built in the rear, and here cabinet making, joinery, upholstering, and polishing were carried on. After the death of Mr. Fitch the business passed into the hands of Messrs. Hedley, Swan, and Co., who have a large establishment at Sunderland, but about twelve years ago Messrs. Marwood Brothers took the business and under their capable management it has further developed. In the season, between 50 and 60 workers are employed. Of late year the furniture removing part of the business has been enlarged, and the firm's pantechnicon vans have been practically all over the country.
Few, if any, towns of the size of Malton poses a business which has grown and extended on such a large scale, and it is quite unusual to find in a country district such a large and well-chosen variety of up-to-date general drapery, carpets, linoleum, and furniture as is to be seen in the shops and windows of Messrs. Fitch and Co. Messrs. Marwood Brothers have the advantage of being natives of the district, and are consequently fully conversant with the tastes and requirements of this customers. Proof of their successful methods in this direction is shown by the increasing number of clients who visit this establishment as each season comes round. Ladies who inspect the shops and showrooms cannot fail to be pleased with the excellent quality and variety of the goods exhibited.
Messrs. Fitch and Co. have a branch establishment in Burgate, Pickering.
Yorkshire Gazette, November 18th, 1911
The Co-Operative Society
The picture here is believed to have been taken outside the Castlegate premises in the early 1900s. The roots of the Co-operative Movement probably lie with the Rochdale Pioneers in the mid 1840s. Malton may well have been a comparatively late starter (a society was formed in Settrington in 1874), and there is evidence of a failed attempt to form one in Malton.
Late in 1884 a meeting was held in the Corn Exchange to consider the desirability of forming a Co-operative Society, Mr. Barker, an employee at Mr. Yates' foundry was appointed Chairman, Mr. Briddon, kitchen range fitter, of Malton, Mr. Dowson, goods guard and others addressed the meeting before it was adjourned . . .  It would appear that local tradesmen were apprehensive about the Co-operative Society becoming successful, and an interesting court case was heard in the summer of 1885 when Mr. Briddon claimed he had been illegally dismissed by his employer, Mr. Yates, iron founder, without notice … … 'because he had been instrumental in forming a Co-operative store in the town' He was claiming £26 damages for unfair dismissal and won the case. 
In May 1886, the Malton Co-operative Society held a public 'knife and fork' tea in the Corn Exchange for 230 men and their wives in celebration of their first year of existence. The Chairman referred to the fact that the society had been successful even though there was opposition. Initially the business was grocery and butchering. Profit in the first year was about £109 and members received 1s 6d in the pound dividend. 
The Malton & Norton Co-operative Society came into being on 21st March, 1901. The initial premises were the rental of an old brewery at 56 Castlegate (these were later purchased in 1908). A Mr. G Hillman was appointed manager, and Mr. G. Watson, a signalman, secretary. A dividend was paid in the first quarter. Sales during the first year were £3,769 and the membership was 285. In 1903, the range of goods offered was extended to include drapery, boots and hardware.
In 1908 a collective life assurance scheme was offered. In 1915 there was amalgamation with the Settrington society. Late in 1918 a further shop was acquired in Castlegate to house a boot and shoe department . Also in 1918 premises were acquired in Rillington and Norton.
In 1921 the warehouse at the back of the Castlegate premises was destroyed by fire and when considering the options for continuing the business, rather than re-build, the society purchased property in Wheelgate including 21 cottages known as Wheelgate Square. Further information can be had in the societys' Jubilee Souvenir 1901-1951 booklet. Editorial from the Malton Messenger, 25 March 1922 summarises this.
From the advertisement here, it seems likely that the Co-op purchased the building occupied by and the business of Taylor & Rowntrees who had 'Stores & Cafe: Wheelgate House, Malton'. This is confirmed in a report covering the opening of the new Wheelgate store on Saturday 7th October 1923 . This refers to the buildings having previously been occupied by Messrs. Taylor and Rowntree, grocers, and by Mr. J.W. Robinson, pawnbroker. In opening the premises, Mr. George Cartwright said that "He was looking forward to the time when their premises would extend right down to the Butcher Corner"
-  York Herald, 20 December 1884
-  York Herald, 25 July 1885
-  Driffield Times, 8 May 1886
-  Yorkshire Gazette, 8 February 1919
-  Malton Messenger, 13 October 1923
The Taylor family in Malton had carried on a grocery business since 1700, opening then their shop in Castlegate. That old shop had a thatched roof "and still has many customers whose great-grandparents bought provisions there." Apprentices who worked there lived on the premises. None of the goods were packeted. Sugar was bought-in in large blocks weighing half a ton and cut into lumps on the premises. Tea was first introduced into Malton by the firm in the reign of Queen Anne, and it was very expensive. This description was written by a member of the Taylor family in response to a request by the editor to hear from businesses that were very long-lived.
Leeds Mercury, 23 April 1932
Public Benefit Boot Co.
William Henry Franklin established the Public Benefit Boot Company in 1875, opening a shop in Hull. A number of branches were subsequently opened, and towards the end of the century there were mergers and acquisitions forming a sizeable business.
The shops were distinguished by large glass windows and mosaic thresholds. The Malton shop was in Saville street and opened around 1909/1911. The shop is now occupied by Harrison & Hargreaves and retains the mosaic threshold.
James Thompson of Yorkersgate was one of the Malton undertakers. In 1855 he is looking for an apprentice for his Joinery, Cabinet-making and Upholstering Business and in the same advertisement he thanks the public for 'the liberal patronage he has received for his hearse' ... continuing 'experience has proved to him that reasonable charges are the best means of securing patronage; and he has now made arrangements for supplying the hearse at one-fourth of the usual charge, viz., 5s to Old Malton, which was formerly charged 20s. The hearse can be supplied without horses if required, as well as Mourning Coaches, Cabs, and every other Funeral requisite' . Mr Thompson also sold pianos, secondhand furniture, paintings and prints  Malton Messenger, 2 June 1855
(Widow of the late GEORGE JACKSON, PLUMBER and GLAZIER)
Dealer in Glass, China, and Wedgwood Ware
Grateful for past favors, begs to inform her Friends and the public, that with the assistance of her Brother and experieinced Workmen, she proposes carrying on the business in all its branches; and hopes, by strict attention to their Orders, to ensure a continuance of their support.
N.B. PUMPS and WATER CLOSETS fixed and repaired
York Herald, 30 October 1819
BOOKSELLER, BOOKBINDER & STATIONER
RETURNS his most grateful Thanks for the general Patronage he has received, and humbly solicits a continuance thereof, which he shall ever make it his particular study to merit, by an invariable attention to Business … He at the same time begs leave to inform his Friends and the Public, that he intends adding to the above Business that of
and has therefore ordered a PROPER and NEW Selection of Materials, for carrying it on, in all its various branches, with neatness and elegance; and has also engaged a person fully competent to ocnduct the whole with ACCURACY and ATTENTION to orders … In the mean time, till he has his Office completed, a friend has kindly offered to execute for him, and in his Name whatever PRINTING his Friends and the Public may choose to favour him with, and which they may depend on being done in the best manner and with the utmost dispatch.
York Herald, 17 August 1805
SATURDAY, JUNE 3
WIDOW OF THE LATE RICHARD SMITHSON
OF NEW MALTON, BOOKSELLER
IN expressing her grateful acknowledgements for the Patronage and Support extended to her late Husband, and in soliciting a continuance of the same to herself, begs to assure those who may favour her with Orders, that the same will be attended to with promptness and despatch.
New Malton, 1st June 1837
Yorkshire Gazette, 3 June 1837
There were a significant number of grocers in Malton. It can be imagined that some of the public would favour a particular grocer while others may 'shop around' for the best price. Evidently some grocers rewarded their customers with complimentary candles at Christmas time, but in 1853 they collectively decided to drop this practice, although as this newspaper advertisement announces a number of grocers 'broke ranks'.This image ©British Library, Malton Messenger 17 December 1859
Thomas Taylor of Castlegate had certainly resumed the practice by the early 1900s, evidenced by these candles which are in the possession of the Woohams Stone Collection.
BREACH OF THE CHIMNEY SWEEPERS' ACT - Mrs Mary Stott, the wife of Charles Stott, of Malton, chimney-sweeper, appeared to answer a charge preferred against her by John Sanders, a rival sweep, for having, on the 5th inst., allowed a boy under the age of 21 years to ascend a chimney for the purpose of sweeping the same, contrary to the statute in such case made and provided. - The complainant failed in proving the case to the satisfaction of the bench, and the complaint was dismissed.
Yorkshire Gazette, 15 April 1843
With reference to the circumstances reported in the newspaper extract on the left, in the 1841 census Thomas Robinson is shown living with Charles Stott (and his wife, Mary) at Church Hill, Old Maltongate. Thomas is described as a ‘Sweep’ so has presumably finished his apprenticeship. It is interesting to read the contents of his apprenticeship indenture
Information in Four Categories
Lots of information about who lived here and where! Families, Malton Butchers Cricket Team, Malton People Database, Memories of Malton, Charles Dickens Connection, Town Bellman, Town Crier, Wives Wanted, Malton in the 1840s, Census including some transcriptions, 1858 List of Voters for St. Michael's, Earl Fitzwilliam Rent Accounts, Newspaper announcements of births, deaths and mariages
What was the town like in Victorian and Edwardian times? Where is/was that street? House numbering, Malton in the 1840s, Planning & Building Control, Toilets in Chancery Lane, Streets Butcher Corner, Castlegate, Greengate, Market Place, Middlecave, Newbiggin, Old Maltongate, St. Michael Street, Saville Street, The Mount, Wentworth Street, Wheelgate, Yorkersgate, York Road, Peasey Hill, Planning & Building Control, Town Guides Old Pictures and Maps, Walks around the town take in a bit of history! Land Hearth Tax, 1873 Return of Owners of Land, Property, North Riding Register of Deeds, Finance Act 1910
What businesses and industries were here? Trade Directories, Photographers, Undertakers, Apprentices, Banks, Breweries, Local Traders and Advertisements, Bankruptcy, Malton and Norton Cooperative Society, Longsters, Fitch & Co, Thomas Taylor, Public Benefit Boot Co., Shopping Week 1922, The Manure Company, Biscuit Mills, Milling, Iron Foundries, Ralph Yates, Industrial Safety
What happened here both locally and in response to wider events? Baker's Chronology, New Malton Spa, Emigration, The Telephone Comes to Malton, Cemetery, Horse Procession, Coronation of Queen Victoria, 1937 Coronation Celebrations, St. Michael's School, Racecourse, Emigration, Malton Golf Course, Sebastopol Cannon, Middlecave Windmill, Traffic, Theatre, Queen Victoria's Jubilee, Coronation of Edward Vll, Longster's Spa Garden, Curling, Talbot Hotel Newspapers Historical Background, Malton Messenger, Malton & Norton Gazette, including digital copies of the first few editions from 1855 Worship Three Ecclesiastical Parishes, 1857 locations, St. Michael's, St. Leonard's, Primitive Methodists, Unitarians, Independents, Catholics, Baptists, Wesleyans, Society of Friends, Congregationalists, 1851 Religious Census Police & Fire Police, law & order, prostitution, fire brigade, fires, Fire Brigade Friendly Society Pubs & Beerhouses Brewster Sessions, landlords, Temperance movement, closure dates Secret Orders Freemasonry, Friendly Societies, Oddfellows, Independent Order of Rechabites, Shepherds and Charities The Railway Victorian Heyday, Abolition of the Turnpikes, Accidents, Station Location, Railway Crossing & Bridge, Excursions, Railway Buildings, York & Scarborough line, Malton & Driffield line, Malton and Whitby line Health The sanitary condition of Malton 1854, nuisance removal, local board of health, the Dispensary, the Cottage Hospital, Apothecaries, Doctors and Surgeons, Dentists, Galvanism, 1932 typhoid outbreak, Health & Housing in 1909, Cholera, Smallpox, Smallpox Vaccination, Typhoid, 1918 Influenza epidemic Workhouse Settlement & Removals, managing the workhouse, state of the workhouse 1818, workhouse provisions, scandal at the workhouse, life in the workhouse, one of yours in the workhouse, masters & matrons, advertisements for staff First World War War is declared, the Wider War Effort, Employment issues for local tradesmen, Zeppelin Raids, Local Recruitment Advertising and Meetings, Military Tribunals, Medals and Bravery, Casualties, War Memorial, Armistice is Signed